Adding miso, shitake mushroom and sea vegetables to soups and stir-fries, this is a great way to further boost your protection from colds and flu during the winter months.
- ½ cup wakame or kombu seaweed
- 3 Tbs miso paste (Gen mai)
- 4 shiitake or reishi mushrooms (dried or fresh)
- 1 ½ cup chopped vegetables (leek, onion, carrot, cabbage, turnips, potatoes, sweet potatoes)
- ½ cup tofu pieces
- 4-5 cup water (vegie stock or seaweed soaking water)
- 1 tsp sesame oil.
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- If you are using dried mushrooms, soak mushrooms in boiling water for 1 hour, discard the stems and soaking water.
- Soak seaweed in water (wakame – 20 min, kombu -4 min), keep soaking water. Cut seaweed into strips.
- Sauté seaweed and vegetables in a pan with a little oil.
- Add water and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 10 min. Then add tofu pieces.
- Cream miso in a little broth and return to soup. Cook on low heat for a couple of minutes. Do not overheat miso as it will destroy the active lactobacillus (beneficial bacteria).
- Garnish (seeds, toasted nori flakes, chives, parsley).